My first Tea Stain Glazed piece....a kitchen island.





I was looking for a small kitchen island and came across this item. It was advertised as a microwave cart. I could definitely see the potential for it to be the small island I needed. But what color....I was trying to decide between dark blue, sea blue (light/med blue) or white.

I knew that I wanted to use Ralph Lauren Tea Stain Glaze regardless. So I removed the top piece from the island and the middle shelf. Removing the middle shelf made the island look larger because the space opened up more."

I started with the dark blue. Left it like that for about two weeks to see if it would grow on me. It didn't. So I lightly sanded over again so that some of the dark blue could be exposed later and went with the white. I liked it well enough but it just seemed plain so I distressed the edges and gave it some rough spots. Now for the tea stain. I wiped it on using an old white t-shirt.
After letting it sit on for about 3 minutes I would wipe it off with a different old white tee. Wiped gently in the areas where I wanted more of the stain and harder where I didn't. When I messed up I would just rub the area again with more glaze and wipe again. Just in case anyone wanted to see how it looked as I was doing it here are some pics.

It turned out great but now I don't particularly care for the rough spots I put on it. So, I'll give it another couple of weeks and probably re-cover those spots with the white paint and glaze.
















7 comments:

mavericks_mommy said...

Happy Friday Follow

Im a new follower

stop by and check out my giveaway

http://mavericksmommy.blogspot.com/2010/02/first-ever-giveaway-movie-and-playing.html

mavericks Mommy

Daenel T. said...

Stopping by from Friday Follow. I love crafting too. I look forward to seeing more of your projects.

Katrina said...

I'm not sure what rough spots you're talking about but I think it looks beautiful!! Fabulous job.

Following you from Friday Follow. :)

http://sevinfamily.blogspot.com

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Hi, (found you at Miss Mustard Seed)... you did a great job, what a transformation!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Wow... I LOVE it! I think it's gorgeous! I had to laugh when you said you had done the work to make it one color than decided you didn't like it and started over! lol I am *famous* for doing that!! :)
~Jennifer
www.studiojru.com

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

that turned out really nice.

I love the mix of wood tones and paint.
excellent choice.

thanks for showing it

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love this transformation. It looks like the piece was plucked right out of an old farmhouse. Nice job!